1. How is BIT Building different from other existing green building certification programs?
BIT Building meets you where you are. Green building certification programs worldwide have accomplished a considerable amount toward helping companies to reduce their CO2 emissions, meet ESG goals, and operate their buildings more efficiently. However, only 25% of existing buildings qualify for these programs, leaving the other 75% without a clear path to sustainability.
BIT Building bridges that gap, providing an easy, flexible pathway to achieve better building performance—and earn green building certification—for existing buildings no matter the age or performance level.
Additional information can be found here: One Sheet | White Paper
2. What are the benefits of earning BIT Building certification?
3. What are BIT Building’s eligibility requirements?
Entire buildings or tenant-controlled spaces are eligible for BIT certification. As such, the following criteria must be met as part of that eligibility:
4. How long will it take for my project to earn BIT Building certification?
That depends on the project and how far along it may already be in its sustainable operations journey, however, most projects can be certified within six months.
5. What is the certification review process?
Participants gather and submit the required information for each of the 16 Best Practices for Sustainable Operations & Maintenance to achieve certification. The submitted information is then reviewed by a BIT Building program assessor who provides the participant with feedback on their goal of improving the operational performance of their building or tenant-controlled space as well as their progress towards certification.
Participants elect when to trigger a review of their submitted information and can have their documentation reviewed either concurrently or separately.
Usually preferred by first-time users to the program, participants can elect to have the submitted documentation required for each of the 16 Best Practices reviewed upon fulfillment of the requirements of each best practice. Participants chose a separate review that would gather all the required documentation for an individual Best Practice (or a group of Best Practices) and then trigger a review by a BIT Building assessor. The certification review process consists of two rounds of reviews verifying that the project’s submissions demonstrate the implementation of the 16 Best Practices.
Usually preferred by repeat users of the program, participants can elect to have the submitted documentation required for each of the 16 Best Practices reviewed at the same time. Participants choosing a concurrent review would gather all required documentation for all 16 Best Practices and then trigger a review by a BIT Building assessor.
6. Can the BIT Building program help with earning other existing green building certifications?
BIT Building helps underperforming buildings improve their operations and can position them to qualify for more challenging existing green building certification programs (e.g., LEED O+M, BREEAM, ESPM, Green Globes, and BOMA 360) while providing customized guidance and recognition every step of the way.
7. If my building or project has already earned another green building certification, can that count toward earning BIT Building certification?
It depends on the certification, but in general, the answer is “yes” as long as the information meets the requirements of one or more BIT Building’s 16 Best Practices for Sustainable Operations & Maintenance.
8. How much does BIT Building cost?
$1,500/project (corporations and businesses)
$1,200/project (nonprofit organizations)