Manage Campus Building Performance Through Benchmarking to Save Energy and Water
The Campus Benchmarking guidebook documents navigates through seven processes that include:
- Plan - Create a project team and determine the organization’s energy and water conservation goals.
- Benchmark - Establish a baseline year to track the energy and water reduction progress. Compare annual energy and water usage to baseline usage to see changes in consumption overtime.
- Identify Underperforming Buildings - Find which buildings are using the most energy and water relative to other buildings on campus and similar buildings nationwide.
- Perform Energy Assessments - Conduct assessments to prioritize energy and water capital improvements, operational changes and identify opportunities for commissioning.
- Implementation - Plan, budget and identify funding resources to implement the energy and water improvements. Deploy energy and water efficiency improvements and commission upgraded systems.
- Tracking & Reporting - Monitor post-implementation performance to verify utility savings and return on investment were achieved.
- Recognition – Communicate achievement throughout the institution, the local community, recognition programs and the higher education sustainability network.
The companion Submetering Bulletin illustrates the value of submetering on a campus and how to set-up and maintain a submetering program. Five campus case studies provide real-world applications of the virtues of submetering.
The guide helps colleges and universities assess the energy and water usage of both small and large buildings and identify opportunities for savings.
Understand the value of submetering on a campus and how to set-up and maintain a submetering program.
The guide outlines how to use the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager – an online tool that provides a relevant source of comparative energy performance metrics by normalizing energy use of similar facilities by space‐type, floor area, operating hours, climate and other space attributes.
Your support enables Southface to launch and lead important initiatives in several areas;
bold programs that are made possible through the generosity of our donors.