- This event has passed.
Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Rater: A Two-Part Training
October 14 @ 8:00 am - October 18 @ 6:00 pm
Completing this two-part course is the necessary step toward becoming a Certified Home Energy Rater, who can administer the Home Energy Rating System (HERS) developed by the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET).
Certified Home Energy Raters produce energy rating reports that help home buyers and homeowners qualify for financing incentives through a variety of private and government loan programs. Certified raters also provide documentation for home builders to receive credit for beyond-code construction. With more modern energy codes, raters can help builders demonstrate compliance via the Energy Rating Index (ERI) pathway.
Home Energy Ratings can be performed on both new and existing homes. Energy efficient and green building certification programs rely on HERS ratings, including: ENERGY STAR, EarthCraft House, LEED for Homes and National Green Building Standard, as well as many utility rebate programs and energy code compliance efforts.
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
- Forty hours of classroom training in a green training facility with natural daylighting
- Healthy lunches and afternoon snacks
- One practice and one actual rating of a real home – included as part of the training with software feedback
- Two official simulated ratings as part of the RESNET evaluation process
- Combustion safety training including hands-on components and two required exams (one via simulation, other is Scope of Work 25 question exam)
- Hands-on training for blower door and duct leakage testing with equipment – plus oral exam on proper usage
- Practice take-home and in-class problems to demonstrate concept clarity and test preparation
- Certificate of course completion
- Southface post-course follow-up and technical assistance
FREE MATERIAL WITH TRAINING ATTENDANCE:
- A copy of Residential Energy by John Krigger and Chris Dorsi
- The Southface HERS Rater Manual – with copies of all slides used during the training
- Electronic course content with additional support materials, including example Southface Energy Rated Homes (SERH) Field Takeoff Form
- Access to accredited HERS Rating software
- Resources on the latest energy finance and incentive programs that involve HERS raters in their process
- Entire 7-day Training Course Price: $2,295 + $550 RESNET test fees ($100 discount will be applied for Southface Members)
*Price includes the cost for the RESNET National Certification written/electronic exam and the RESNET HERS Rater Simulation Practical Exam
- New HERS Rater students and HERS Rating Field Inspector (RFI) students – This course is focused on HERS Rater training, but HERS Rating Field Inspectors (RFI’s) can be accommodated in this HERS Training. For RFI’s, the content and evaluations are similar but the software portion is not required. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
- This course is held at the Southface state of the art Southeast Weatherization and Energy Efficiency Training (SWEET) Center. This training and testing facility features multiple operational combustion appliances, a life-size “House of Pressure” demonstration mock-up, two testing and training cabins, plus all required hands-on test equipment and computer simulation tools.