Home Energy Professional Retrofit Installer Technician Training
The Home Energy Professional (HEP) Retrofit Installer Technician (RIT) course is a comprehensive, 5-day training designed to prepare students to challenge the Written and Practical Exams for the HEP RIT Certification. This Certification is based on the RIT Job Task Analysis, an industry-led collaboration directed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), which defines the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the job of a Retrofit Installer Technician working in the Weatherization or Home Performance industries.
To achieve the HEP RIT Certification, a student must receive a passing score on two (2) exams: a Written Exam and Field Exam. Students seeking this Certification must meet additional prerequisites in order to qualify to challenge the exams (see Prerequisites section below) and must provide proof of approval from BPI in order to take the exams.
Please note that for this course, the cost of the exams is NOT included in the price and must be paid for and scheduled separately. This training has been approved for 8 BPI Continuing Education Units. Additional information regarding this and other Home Energy Professional Certifications may be found here: Home Energy Professional Certifications.
This course includes both classroom and lab/field instruction, as well as hands-on training and practice. Major topics covered during the training include: worker safety; review of building science concepts; air-sealing and insulation; mechanical systems and ducts; and window and door installation. After successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to: identify worker/client safety hazards such as mold, lead, asbestos, electrical and perform work safely using proper personal protective equipment (PPE); understand basic building science concepts and their effect on a home; properly install air-sealing measures, insulation, and ground moisture barriers; evaluate HVAC systems and perform duct-sealing measures; evaluate and install mechanical ventilation systems including through-the-roof terminations; evaluate existing windows and doors; remove and re-install windows and doors.
- CEUs: BPI, 8 hours
- Certificate of Completion: Upon successful completion of this training, students will receive a Southface Certificate of Completion
- Certification: BPI HEP Retrofit Installer Technician (must meet prerequisites for professional experience and pass the BPI HEP Retrofit Installer Technician Written and Field Exams)
- Thirty-two (32) hours of classroom/lab/hands-on training by Certified BPI Professionals
- Interactive hands-on activities in a state-of-the-art Weatherization Training Center containing demonstration equipment, combustion lab, and two fully interactive demonstration cabins
- Hands-on practice performing air-sealing measures, installing attic and sidewall insulation, installing mechanical ventilation and duct systems, and installing windows and doors
- Students should be competent in basic construction terminology and possess basic skills using tools prior to attending this training
- Students seeking the BPI HEP Retrofit Installer Technician Certification must meet specific work experience prerequisites. A detailed list of prerequisites can be found here: BPI Prerequisites
- Students seeking the BPI HEP Retrofit Installer Technician Certification must apply directly with BPI and receive approval to challenge the exams. The BPI Approval Letter must be provided to Southface prior to challenging any exams. The application and instructions for applying may be found here: BPI Retrofit Installer Technician Application
- Course Price: $1,800 (Discounts for Southface Members)
- Course & Written Exam: $2,025
- Course, Written & Field Exams: $2,725
- Note: Pricing may vary. Refer to Course Calendar listing for specific dates, times, locations, pricing and membership discounts or contact email@example.com.
- Program URL: www.bpi.org
- Please note that the cost of Written and Field Exams is NOT included in the tuition price for this course. If students pay for, and are approved to challenge the exams, there will be an opportunity during the afternoon of day-5 to challenge the HEP RIT Certification Written Exam.
- NREL Job Task Analysis for Retrofit Installer Technician: NREL Job Task Analysis for RIT
- BPI Certifications: BPI Certifications
- BPI Home Energy Professional Retrofit Installer Technician Certification prerequisites: BPI Retrofit Installer Technician Prerequisites
- Application and Instructions for BPI Home Energy Professional Retrofit Installer Technician: BPI Retrofit Installer Technician Application and Instructions
UPCOMING BPI HEP RETROFIT INSTALLER TECHNICIAN TRAININGS
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Your support enables Southface to launch and lead important initiatives in several areas;
bold programs that are made possible through the generosity of our donors.