Green Infrastructure Low Impact Development Training for Contractors, Home Builders and Developers
About the Training:
Many communities in Georgia experience challenges with urban flooding and stormwater management. For years, cities have been designed to act as funnels to convey water quickly which causes downstream pollution and long-term health and safety concerns, however, Georgia recently revised their stormwater management manual to directly address these issues. This update created a set of best management practices for more flexibility and are referred to as Green Infrastructure (GI). Green infrastructure is a cost-effective approach to managing stormwater runoff bytreating it as a resource rather than a disturbance and can include developing bioretention areas, enhanced swales, permeable pavers and pervious concrete. Green Infrastructure must be designed, installed and maintained correctly to avoid repairs or reinstallation.
Southface is offering this training in the new GI Stormwater protocols to help you avoid any installation missteps as you expand your business offerings. Our training is a one-day event for builders, contractors and developers who are seeking to comply with the recent updates to the Georgia Stormwater Management Manual which many cities throughout the state have adopted.
Upon completion of this training, trainees will be able to:
- Implement correct construction sequencing protocol for Best Management Practices (BMPs).
- Read and interpret a landscape plan for BMPs.
- Interpret a topographic map and perform slope calculations in order to understand the effects of grading and drainage on BMPs.
- Identify soil mixtures for BMPs and calculate soil and material volumes.
- Identify and select appropriate plants for BMPs based upon habitat, region and compatibility.
- Identify common problems within BMPs.
- Successfully install and establish new BMPs.
- Six hours of classroom training
- Two hours of hands-on training (in select areas)
- Interactive hands-on installation of a Bioretention Area on a site which includes various types of Green Infrastructure Best Management Practices to be viewed (in select areas)
- Interactive student participation practicing the following skills: training, effective listening, communication, problem solving, construction scheduling, tracking and maintenance and quality control.
Since this course covers a wealth of specific material in a limited time, it is assumed that prior to attending the class, students will already possess knowledge and skills related to construction and landscaping. Students should also be competent in basic mathematics and construction terminology. The intended audience includes, but is not limited to:
- Home builders
- Property owners
- Municipal and County Personnel
- Professionals with Licensure
March 15, 2018 ; 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Home Builders Association of Greater Savannah
7116 Hodgson Memorial Drive
Savannah, GA 31406
Registration Information: Registration for Savannah course will be through HBA Savannah site.
Section 1: Preparing for Installation
- GI/LID Overview
- Horizontal and Vertical Controls
- Drawing Conventions
Section 2: BMP Overview
- Components of a BMP
- Subsurface GI – Dry Well
- Hardscape GI – Permeable Pavers and Pervious Concrete
- Linear Landscape GI – Dry/Wet Enhanced Swale
- Non-Linear Landscape GI – Bioretention Area
Section 3: Plant and Soil Operations and Establishment
- Initial Maintenance of Plants
- Plant Establishment
An introductory Webinar is available below. If you use any content from this presentation, please credit Southface.
Steps for viewing the online webinar:
- Follow the link.
- Select the green button “Add to Cart” [it is free to add and view the training webinar]
- Select “Proceed to Cart”
- If you already have an account, then you can login. Otherwise, you will need to create a free account by simply entering your email address and creating a password.
- Once you register, you will be sent an email to confirm your account.
- Once you select the account verification link you will be redirected back to the Southface LearnUpon Online Training User Account Page where you will enter your First Name, Last Name and Phone Number.
- From this page, you will be able to view your course. If you are not directed to your course page, just simply go to the upper left menu options and select “Catalog” to view, search, browse and enroll in the online course, or simply re-click the address in Step 1.
For more information, follow this LINK.
- 6 CEU’s will be provided by Home Builders Association of Greater Savannah for our Savannah training (membership is required for CEU’s)
- 6 CEU’s will be provided by Greater Atlanta Home Builders Association
- Other CEU’s will be self-reported – attendees will receive a certificate after the training that states how many CEU’s the class qualifies for. Attendees will use the certificate to report to respective boards.
UPCOMING GIRI TRAININGS
Your support enables Southface to launch and lead important initiatives in several areas;
bold programs that are made possible through the generosity of our donors.