Home Energy Professional Crew Leader Training
The Home Energy Professional (HEP) Crew Leader course is a comprehensive, 5-day training designed to prepare students to challenge the Written and Practical Exams for the HEP Crew Leader Certification. This Certification is based on the Crew Leader Job Task Analysis, an industry-led collaboration directed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), which defines the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the job of a Crew Leader working in the Weatherization or Home Performance industries.
To achieve the Crew Leader Certification, a student must receive a passing score on three (3) exams: a Written Exam, a Field Exam, and a Multiple Choice Exam covering practical field components. Students seeking this Certification must meet additional prerequisites in order to qualify to challenge the exams (see Prerequisites section below) and must provide proof of approval from BPI in order to take the exams.
Please note that for this course, the cost of the exams is NOT included in the price and must be paid for and scheduled separately. This training has been approved for 8 BPI Continuing Education Units. Additional information regarding this and other Home Energy Professional Certifications may be found here: Home Energy Professional Certifications.
This course includes both classroom and lab/field instruction. Major topics covered during the training include: responsibilities of a Crew Leader; communication skills and professionalism; adult learning principles for effective crew training/management; leadership and problem solving skills; time management and scheduling; identification of worker/client safety hazards such as mold, lead, asbestos, electrical and proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE); understanding local building/safety codes and program rules; equipment tracking and maintenance; materials tracking and warehousing; quality control and diagnostic testing review; pre-job planning and generating work orders.
- CEUs: BPI, 8 hours
- Certificate of Completion: Upon successful completion of this training, students will receive a Southface Certificate of Completion
- Certification: BPI HEP Crew Leader (must meet prerequisites for professional experience and pass the BPI Crew Leader Written, Field, and Multiple Choice Practical Exams)
- Thirty-two (32) hours of classroom/lab/hands-on training by Certified BPI Professionals
- Access to Math Basics and Basics of Building Science online learning modules
- Interactive hands-on activities in a state-of-the-art Weatherization Training Center containing demonstration equipment, combustion lab, and two fully interactive demonstration cabins
- Interactive student participation practicing the following skills: training/mentoring, effective listening, communication, mentoring, problem solving, basic air-sealing and containment, scheduling, tracking and maintenance, work order generation, and quality control.
- Since this course covers a wealth of specific material in a limited time it is assumed that prior to attending the class, students will already possess knowledge and skills related to building science, air-sealing, and diagnostic testing. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that students possess a BPI Building Analyst Professional certification and/or have extensive related industry experience. Students should also be competent in basic mathematics, construction terminology, and possess basic computer operation skills prior to attending this training.
- Online Learning Modules: Basics of Building Science, Math Basics (access provided upon registration)
- Students seeking the BPI HEP Crew Leader Certification must meet specific work experience prerequisites. A detailed list of prerequisites can be found here: BPI Prerequisites
- Students seeking the BPI HEP Crew Leader Certification must apply directly with BPI and receive approval to challenge the exams. The BPI Approval Letter must be provided to Southface prior to challenging any exams. The application and instructions for applying may be found here: BPI Crew Leader Application
- Course Price: $1,700 (Discounts for Southface Members)
- Course & Written Exam: $2,100
- Course, Written & Field Exams: $2,800
- Note: Pricing may vary. Refer to Course Calendar listing for specific dates, times, locations, pricing and membership discounts or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that the cost of Written, Field, and Multiple Choice Practical Exams is NOT included in the tuition price for this course. If students pay for, and are approved to challenge the exams, there will be an opportunity during the afternoon of day-5 to challenge both the HEP Crew Leader Certification Written Exam and Multiple Choice Practical Exam.
- NREL Job Task Analysis for Crew Leader: NREL Job Task Analysis for Crew Leader
- BPI Certifications: BPI Certifications
- BPI Home Energy Professional Crew Leader Certification prerequisites: BPI Crew Leader Prerequisites Application and Instructions for BPI Home Energy Professional Crew Leader: BPI Crew Leader Application and Instructions
UPCOMING BPI HEP CREW LEADER TRAININGS
Your support enables Southface to launch and lead important initiatives in several areas;
bold programs that are made possible through the generosity of our donors.