HERS Combustion Safety and Work Scope Module
The Home Energy Professional (HEP) Crew Leader course is a comprehensive, 5-day training designed to prepare students to challenge the Written and Practical Exams for the HEP Crew Leader Certification. This Certification is based on the Crew Leader Job Task Analysis, an industry-led collaboration directed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), which defines the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the job of a Crew Leader working in the Weatherization or Home Performance industries.
To achieve the Crew Leader Certification, a student must receive a passing score on three (3) exams: a Written Exam, a Field Exam, and a Multiple Choice Exam covering practical field components. Students seeking this Certification must meet additional prerequisites in order to qualify to challenge the exams (see Prerequisites section below) and must provide proof of approval from BPI in order to take the exams.
Please note that for this course, the cost of the exams is NOT included in the price and must be paid for and scheduled separately. This training has been approved for 14 BPI Continuing Education Units. Additional information regarding this and other Home Energy Professional Certifications may be found here: Home Energy Professional Certifications.
- RESNET exam fees (Work Scope and Combustion Safety Simulation tests)
- Access to RES-CAZ Combustion Safety simulation software
- Interactive hands-on test equipment and actual combustion appliances in our SWEET Center Combustion Lab
- CAZ Module Handbook
- Latest RESNET Standard and Appendices
This course is intended for students who have completed the core HERS training and are on track to begin provisional ratings with a HERS provider. The course is also appropriate for existing HERS raters who must comply with the 2014 requirements Combustion Safety and Work Scope testing requirements. In addition,
- Students are expected to be familiar with basic construction terminology and with blower door and duct leakage testing equipment operation.
- Students must have a laptop computer with a Microsoft Windows® operating system and Internet access capability.
Your support enables Southface to launch and lead important initiatives in several areas;
bold programs that are made possible through the generosity of our donors.
Southface promotes sustainable homes, workplaces and communities through education, research, advocacy and technical assistance.